Thursday, January 8, 2015

Visiting New York

Ben's entire family is from Syracuse. Both his parents grew up there and all four of his grandparents still live there. Lots of aunts and uncles and cousins too. So when his parents and brothers were going to be there for New Year's Eve, we decided to go too. Just too many people in one place to pass up the opportunity. 

Traveling with kids is never EASY but my kids seem to be on the easier end of the spectrum. Thank goodness. Lucas is old enough that he can entertain himself fairly well, and juli is normally a pretty easygoing girl. The hardest part of all Four of our flights was that the planes were so small that they only had two seats together, then one or two across the aisle. Which meant I sat with lucas and had juli on my lap, while Ben sat across the aisle. And he was not allowed to hold juli. Because there is an extra oxygen mask on the side of the plane with two seats, but not on the side with one. So I got to hold her the entire time. Here's my thought, though. Let's just say we do need our oxygen masks. I would have to try to put mine on, while holding Juliana, then put Lucas's on,  while holding Juliana, then put hers on. That is better than my husband holding her while I get mine and Lucas's and then I take her and get hers? I was not convinced that their policy was the best way, but heaven forbid you try to question an airline in these times. 

Our visit with family was awesome. We got to spend lots of time with bens parents and brothers. We got to see  all of his grandparents and aunts and cousins in the area. Lucas had so much fun with ben's twin cousins, who are 15. He still asks about them and wants to see pictures of him with them. They played with him so much, and he just had a blast. Juli was more cautious about all the new faces but warmed up slowly. It was so cute to see her charming everyone with her sweet voice and smiles. 

Now that we are home, lucas is adjustingn to normal life again. He misses everyone that we saw and all the fun and attention. I hate that we can't see our families more frequently. It makes saying goodbye that much harder, especially for him. He doesn't know when he is going to see them again and I think that makes him more upset. (Understandably) but I still wouldn't trade our time with our family for the smoothness of not seeing them. I love sharing my awesome kids with the people that love them and love us. 
Juli finally passed out in Dulles at our layover. 

The infamous lamb hat. 

Lucas and the ln

Juli and aunt Lisa. 

Lucas visiting with great grandpa Mike

Gaga and juli 

Snow!

As close as she got to great grandpa Mike. 

The girls with the kiddos. 

I'm so thankful for the time we get with Ben's grandparents and the memories we get to keep from our trip to see everyone. Can't wait til we are within driving distance!!

No comments:

Post a Comment