Thursday, May 21, 2015

Done Breastfeeding

I weaned Lucas when he turned one. I knew we were going to try to have another baby soon, and wanted a couple months without nursing or being pregnant. With juli, we weren't planning on trying for another baby (at least not any time soon) so I didn't really force her to wean. I just let her do what she wanted to do. Which turned out to be gradually cutting out nursing sessions, and eventually only nursing before naps and bedtime. Then from about 15 months to 18 months, she just nursed at those times. She was adamant about it though, demanding "nurse!" When I would rock her. 
Then, about a month ago, she just abruptly stopped asking to nurse. One day she wanted to, the next day she didn't. Then she went a few days, would ask to nurse, go a few more only nursing once or twice, and so on. Finally, she went a week without nursing at all. Then one night she decided she wanted to nurse. And I said no. There is no way there was anything for her to get. And I didn't want to start a cycle of her either comfort nursing, and have to stop that, or of her getting mad that nothing came out. So I said no, for the first time. I refused to let her nurse. And she was fine. She didn't throw a fit, or cry, or really do anything. She went to sleep like she has been doing. And that was when it really hit me. I'm done nursing her. 
I'm much more happy than sad about it, but it is a little bittersweet. She is my baby. But she is getting so big. We haven't decided for sure if we are going to have more kids. She may be my last one. That may have been my last time nursing a baby. I have such beautiful memories of nursing my babies. I also have horrible flashbacks of the rough few weeks at the beginning. ☺️😳 But overall, I have loved being able to nurse my babies. And it's done, for now at least. Good news is- I'm ready for sangria this summer!🍹

No comments:

Post a Comment