Friday, April 4, 2014

Zzzzzz's

Sleep is so important. I don't think anyone realizes how lucky they are to get consistent nights of sleep. Until they have a baby. I can't complain too much because Juliana is a fairly good sleeper. She will go through rough patches,  though, and I am once again reminded that sleep is a luxury. One of the biggest difference between my two babies has been their sleep habits. Lucas did not sleep well. He only took naps in my arms or in the boppy next to me for the first six months of his life. That just wasn't going to work for the second baby so thank goodness she is a good napper! She takes normally two, sometimes three, naps a day. It just depends in the length of the naps and when she woke up. But when I put her down for her nap, I generally wait until I know she is tired and ready. and she is out in about 2 minutes. Max. Sometimes its like 10 seconds. And I'm not waiting until she's screaming or fussing to put her down. I wait until she's rubbing her eyes and looking sleepy. Then she's just ready to go down.


I know that, as her momma, I know her tricks. I know she likes her head rubbed a certain way, and to pat her butt if she's fussy. I know that she likes to bounce a certain way, while swaying back a forth. But I knew allllll of Lucas's tricks. And it did not make him go to sleep quickly. It would take fifteen minutes of doing certain things to get him go to sleep for naps and bedtime. So it makes me very thankful for the ease with which Juli goes down.

Back in my post about Lucas's sleeping when he was a baby, I mentioned that I would do things differently with the next baby, and I have. I put her down for her naps every day. I never really tried that hard with Lucas until he was six months old. I don't go get Juli every time she makes a peep. If she starts crying, I go in. But if she's just rolling around or babbling, I don't go in. I let her try to go back to sleep by herself. It doesn't always work, but I give her the opportunity. She also has to sleep through more noise than Lucas did. I would essentially be silent while he took his naps. There is no such thing as silent at my house anymore. And that's ok. Because Juliana will just adjust to the noise level.


I am so thankful that Juliana is as sweet and happy as she is. But I am also thankful that Lucas has the little personality that he has. He is my perfectionist. He is the one who will remind you that you need to do something you said you would do. He is the one who will make sure you are ok if you sigh or he thinks you look sad. He is the one who gives me Eskimo kisses and butterfly kisses, and giggles. I wouldn't change his quirks for having an easier first child. He is just the way he is. And I love both of my babies more than I knew I ever could.

No comments:

Post a Comment