I was thinking back on how travelling with Lucas has gone since he was born, and realized just how many trips he has gone on. He has been on six roundtrip flights, and two cartrips over 9 hours each way. That's a lot in less than two years! I guess that is the way it goes with a military family. I'm glad that I have had the opportunities to travel with Lucas since he was three months old because it made it easier for me. I never stopped doing what I wanted to do because I didnt think I could handle it with him. There have been difficult flights, and cranky car rides, and moments of embarrassment and despair. But there have been weeks full of fun, laughter, family, and new adventures. I wouldn't trade those times for a few bumps in the road.
So I decided to write out a few tips for travelling with babies and toddlers. These have helped me thus far, and maybe they can help other mamas!
All Ages
- Gate check your stroller and carseat. There are several reasons to do this. One, it keeps everything mobile as long as possible. You aren't lugging around your baby, diaper bag, and carry on. It can all go in the stroller until you are almost ON the plane. Two, I'm scared of how... exhuberant? the luggage handlers are. If they drop it, throw it, or smash your carseat too hard, it no longer keeps my baby safe in an accident. Same reason you can't use a carseat after an accident. They can only take so much force. Last reason to gate check, on Southwest, you can ask if it is a full flight. If it isn't, you can bring the carseat on the plane and your baby has their own seat! Even though you didn't purchase a seperate ticket. Obviously there are no guarantees, but it's worth a try! We fly Southwest a lot and Lucas has gotten his own seat 3 or 4 times without buying one!
Infants (0-7 ? months)
- Get used to nursing in public as soon as possible! I bit the bullet when Lucas was less than a month old and never looked back. It is scarier in your head than in reality!
- Try to nurse on take off, but if the timing doesn't work out, don't stress it. One time, Lucas was hungry and cranky 10 minutes before boarding. I was like Really? Can't you just wait and do it on the plane? But for some reason, my infant didn't understand the whole "wait for it" concept. A fussy baby is never a good travel companion. Feed them if they are hungry.
- Let them sleep. Enjoy these months when they will happily snooze through anything.
- Accept help from strangers. I cannot tell you how thankful I have been towards helpful strangers going through security lines with me. I have travelled a lot with Lucas by myself and it is always a struggle in security. Random men and women have lifted my empty carseat onto the conveyor, helped with my stroller, and just told me that if I needed anything to let them know. This is beyond helpful. I hate being the annoying person taking a long time in a security line, and for other people to show that they understand and are willing to help means makes me feel so much better.
Movers (8- 12 months)
- This was a TRICKY stage of travel for us. Lucas was old enough that he didn't want to be held or constrained for a long time, but too young to engage in a lot of books, shows on my iPad, coloring, etc.
- I found that short flights, with a hour or two layover, worked better than a nonstop flight at this point. In the past, I would always take the nonstop option. But the chance to get off the plane and let Lucas move and explore was much more convenient than a longer direct flight.
- Bring distractions. New toys, books, snacks, etc. But in the end, do whatever works. Lucas once sat and lifted and lowered my armrest on the plane for half an hour. Whatever keeps them occupied!
- Use the iPad. Lucas is obsessed with Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. I usually let him watch two to three episodes a day, each are about 25 minutes long. I lost count of how many times we watched MMCH when we were driving to Syracuse this Christmas. 12 hours in the car. Divided by 25 minutes. You do the math, I don't want to know. My brother in law, who was in the car with us, could quote the show by the end of the trip. But Lucas was happy so we all were happy!
- TRY to work around naps, but embrace the inevitable. I try very hard to keep Lucas's nap schedule. He only takes one nap a day, normally from 12:30 or 1 to 3 or 4. That is a big chunk of a travel day. So if it works out that we can travel in the morning and let him nap in the car on the way from the airport, wonderful. If not, we work it out. It's just one day. If the nap doesn't happen, or is short, oh well! Life goes on!
- Sit near other families with kids, if you have seat options. They can entertain each other, and the parents won't be as upset if your kid is throwing a fit. But on the other hand, try to avoid small babies. I once sat infront of a toddler when Lucas was an infant. I wanted to duct tape that kid's mouth by the end of the flight. :) Let's hope karma doesn't catch up with me and my toddler for my trip on Friday!

No comments:
Post a Comment